Wednesday, March 07, 2007

They Greeted the World With Open Arms

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice.

I've been enjoying this whole b/w series -- any more thoughts on the D200 or the 105VR?

Edwin E. Delano said...

Thanks. The D200... Everything has been Pros, with the Flash Sync as the only con so far. The layout on the back alone makes this a better camera. You have a dial on back to switch between types of autofocus and the front switch between Manual and Auto is now Manual and then either the S or C Auto features, so you don't have to go into the menu to change it. The White Balance has a dedicated button with a dedicated ISO right next to it. (I still haven't shot much high ISO stuff yet...but the long exposure noise seems improved) The large viewfinder with Zoom in capability is a huge, huge, huge plus. The FPS is fast (I totally tripped out how fast the first time I tried the continuous mode... but then it lags after it hits its limit as it tries to process the large group of photos it shot) it has a dedicated dial to go between single frame, continuous, multiple exposure (haven't tried that out yet). It is a bit of a battery hog because it is so fast. (and it needs the EN-EL3e, which is I think only used for the D-200). I was able to shoot for probably almost twice as long on 1 battery on the D70. But I got a spare and will probably pick up another sometime.

As far as the 105VR, it's a beautiful piece of glass (or should I say 9 pieces of glass up from the 7 pieces in the previous model) The VR holds up ok under medium macro conditions and works well in longer applications. My photography has been interesting to me since I got the D200, since I've been shooting almost exclusively prime lenses, since Cindi has my D70 and I figured the 18-200VR was a good lens for her most of the time, so I've been trying my hand with primes (which I didn't do too often before) Most excitedly the 35mm that Cindi got me for Christmas, since I've been wanting to do 50mm photography, even though practically the 35mm is really 52.5mm, it's the closest you can get. Really, I've been enjoying the wicked speed that the 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 afford me.

It's been interesting seeing how my style shifts with these lenses, but the D200 has made everything easier. It's also quite sturdy, since it is a metal body instead of plastic, so it's also a bit weightier, but I bought a very comfortable strap for it, so I'm good to go. All in all Thumbs Up.