Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

I went on vacation to Montana and Wyoming recently and visited Yellowstone National Park briefly. I took a lot of photos, sadly conditions weren't in our favor for most of the trip (dull overcast skies) But this day our luck changed and we had frequent breaks in the clouds. It is amazing how varied the terrain is: with cauldrons of fuming, bubbling water and chemicals that conjure Tolkienesque visions of Mordor while contrasted against immensely lush valleys teaming with wildlife. Yellowstone Lake is the largest lake above 7,000 feet in North America. And then there is the enormous thousand foot deep gash in landscape you see here on the screen which houses two impressive waterfalls...which we will get to in due time, but I figured we would start with a photo that displays the yellowish stone that is the namesake of this National Park.

No comments: