Friday, February 16, 2007

Cogswell Cogs

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous light. How's color rendition on the D200 versus the D70?

Also super-interested in how the high-ISO performance compares...

Edwin E. Delano said...

so far i've found the review at the Nikon Lens forum to be pretty spot on. The high iso noise is there, but I wonder if it just seems as bad, because a 100% crop is zoomed in more than on the D70. But I've found that Neat Image seems to respond better to files from the D70. I haven't really had a chance (or really a need) to get into high ISO, since I've been shooting macro, either with sunlight or flash. I've been enjoying the almost noiseless environment of 100 ISO. I will have a better assessment of the camera as a whole once I start using some of my old lenses, since I haven't taken the macro off since I bought it. But so far I'm super pleased with both, the camera is fast and quiet (and being able to check a 100% crop in the viewfinder is the biggest plus so far, since I don't know how many shots I lost or tried to work due to soft focus that looked fine in the small D70 viewfinder..) The default sharpening in-camera is kind of weak, so I bumped that up, but really I need to adjust to doing post work with this since the files and photos are bigger. I like that I can crop down (this picture is a good example) and still have a big picture. We'll see what I have to say when the honeymoon is over.

Edwin E. Delano said...

Sorry, I didn't answer your other question, I shot in both sRGB and Adobe RGB and couldn't tell the difference much. I haven't shot many picture yet with a wide gamut of color so the jury is still out, but so far the color has been beautiful that I have shot. Now how it stacks against the D70 I don't know yet, since I'm not sure how much of my infatuation at the moment is the camera or the nice piece of glass attached. But my D70 is still around (it's now Cindi's) so I'll have to run some test shots when I get the free time (maybe next week).