Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Obstructed: The Neighbor's Bamboo

I'm starting a new series today entitled Obstructed. I find myself thinking about obstructions as I walk around. It might be something simple like a fence with flowers just poking over the top or a building that was so self-righteously placed to allow a few a great vista and the masses outside a great view of a building with hints around the edges that portent the beauty beyond. So, today's post will get a quick story about the bamboo...
When Cindi, Carly, and I were looking for apartments 3 years ago we fell in love with the tall, thick miniature bamboo grove that was growing on the neighbors property. A tenant next door left and a new one moved in. This new tenant had a problem with the bamboo and asked the landlord to remove it (she was afraid hobos or something would hide out in the bamboo, which would not be very practical, since I've been in there and it's thick, the leaves are surprisingly sharp, and there are little bamboo pikes of old bamboo ready to make your stay very uncomfortable). Anyways, so the landlord had someone cut it down. This was a very sad day for us, but noticed that this did not kill it. So, we watered it and brought it back to it's respendant glory of about 14 feet tall. This quick regrowth seemed to vex the landlord, so he cut it down again and then tried everything he could to kill the stuff. He even tried the industrial stuff they use to kill corn fields. Nothing worked. He would need a tractor to take this stuff out. He seems to have now contended himself with periodic choppings. This has been the progress since the last chop and it always brings a smile to mine and Cindi's faces when we see the bamboo reaching out over the fence to once again thwart all the efforts thrown against it.

2 comments:

Its Me! said...

There is something very interesting--fascinating--about your photographs....

Anonymous said...

GROW GREAT BAMBOONI I still love you!!!