Thursday, August 17, 2006

Things I See Everyday: My (Supposed) Terrorist Plot

So, I usually do not do two "Things I See Everyday" posts, but today was something special. I was driving home from work this evening and was going to pick up some food and knew I would be driving past this building I see most every evening. I see this building usually from the freeway and I think about how I like the white vertical lines contrasting with the black windows and the fact that it is well lit in the evening. Today I was on surface streets and I had my camera with me, so I decided to stop. I parked, got out, and snapped two shots immediately. I was moving around to find a better angle when I was approached by a security guard who informed me that "The owners don't want people taking pictures because of the 'political climate'". Anyone who knows the geography of San Diego will realize that this mediocre building in Mission Valley is a morale center for the public of San Diego. I spoke with him a little more and left, leaving unsaid the fact that I can go to Downtown San Diego and take pictures of "impressive and important" buildings all night long without being hassled by some security guy. Not to mention that on the other side of the bay is the largest Naval Base on the West Coast.

In short, I am flabbergasted by the self-aggrandizing things that people say to me in thinking of their importance to terrorists. About 5 months after September 11th, I was a manager for a movie theatre in my hometown in Central California. We were required to sell these pins for charity. I went into the theatre to give my spiel to the audience before the start of the film. The projectionist is supposed to turn the lights up for this, but had failed to do so. I left my bag at the front of the theatre and ran upstairs to do it myself. I was walking back downstairs when a lady was hysterically talking to one of my employees, who directed her to me. She was telling me how she got scared that I was a terrorist come to blow up this amazingly important theatre, wearing a name tag, suit and tie no less. I explained to her what I was doing and she felt so embarassed she bought like 10 pins. It's a small town that most people have never heard of and she thinks that is where the terrorists are going to strike. Right in the middle of a stupid Sunday matinee. Come on. I'm glad these people have a good amount of self esteem to think that they are so important with their mediocrity.

So, now you've had two long winded stories and I leave you with a mediocre picture to match. I think sometime I'll go back to that building and take my chances again. But, way to go security guy on making what probably would have been a less interesting final picture, (if I had been able to take more) that I was only taking to quell my nagging interest in the building, into a rant and now a mission to take that uninteresting photo I really wanted. Nice.

No comments: